Erysimum cheiri 'Blood Red'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: poor to moderately fertile, well-drained, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: March to May
- Flower colour: deep red
- Other features: lance-shaped, coarsely toothed leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
These deep red wallflowers provide a spectacular, spicily-scented display display for 8 weeks or more from early spring. They perform best in full sun and make excellent additions to patio pots and window boxes. Plant them with rich purples, oranges and yellows for best effect.
- Garden care:Start them off in a cold frame or greenhouse using good quality compost. Sow the seeds 5mm deep and keep moist (but not waterlogged) until they germinate. Thin out as soon as they are large enough to handle, potting them into individual pots. Harden off slowly before planting outside in summer. Late sowings can be done direct. Wallflowers like good drainage, so take care not to over-water. Regular dead-heading will prolong the display even further.
- Sow: March-July
- Flowering: March to May
- Approximate quantity: 500 seeds.
Wildlife-friendly gardens are not only more interesting as you can watch all the comings and goings, but they are often more productive as many creatures will help increase pollination. Garden ponds act as a magnet to dragonflies and damsel flies, along wRead full article
One of the first things you learn when you start gardening is that plants are not alone in the garden. There is a whole host of bugs that set up home in your beds and borders as well as an alarming range of microscopic bacteria, fungi and viruses that areRead full article