Cercis chinensis 'Avondale'
Chinese red bud
- Position: full sun or light dappled shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: March to April
- Flower colour: deep magenta-pink
- Hardiness: fully hardy (but young plants may need protection)
The bare, upright shoots of this plant are covered in small clusters of deep pink, pea-like flowers in spring, creating a spectacular display just before the leaves start to emerge. Its bushy habit lends itself well to being trained as either a shrub or small tree, and as it is so compact, it will be happy in a very large pot for many years. The rich green, glossy leaves provide an attractive canopy throughout summer and turn buttery shades before they drop in autumn.
- Garden care: Plant in their final location when young as they resent being transplanted, and water well during their first year to encourage a good root system to develop. It requires minimal pruning, but you should remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in late autumn or winter. When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting hole and stake firmly. Water well during their first year to encourage a good root system to develop.
There are currently no articles for this item.