Bletilla striata alba
half hardy orchid / Bletilla striata f. gebina
- Position: partial shade in summer
- Soil: moist, well-drained, humus-rich soil
- Flowering period: June to July
- Flower colour: white
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection)
This is a beautiful orchid that is hardier than most. It slowly spreads to form leafy clumps, which from spring to summer are crowned with sprays of pure white, bell-shaped flowers. It provides very attractive groundcover for the woodland floor or front of a partially shaded border. They also look smart in patio pots.
- Garden care:Plant 'bulbs' 2cm deep and 15 - 20cm apart in a partially shaded position. In mild areas apply a generous layer of dry mulch in autumn to provide insulation. Alternatively, lift them in autumn and store in a dry, frost-free place. Bletillas grown in pots should be moved to a conservatory or unheated greenhouse during winter. They should be kept dry during their winter dormancy.
There are currently no articles for this item.