Ananas comosus 'Champaca'
- Standard £4.99
- Next / named day £6.99
- Click & collect FREE
- Position: sun/partial shade
- Soil: fertile: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 35cm (including pot)
- Pot covers: please note the pot cover is not included
A curious plant with an ornamental pineapple growing from the top, but this pineapple is not for eating! Part of the Bromeliad plant family native to Tropical America it has swordlike spiny green leaves, held in a dense rosette, with the fruit held in the centre on a sturdy stalk. Being a sun lover , pop it on a sunny kitchen windowsill to be appreciated.
- Home care: Allow the soil to dry out between watering. You can feed it with a balanced liquid fertiliser from spring to autumn. There are 2 ways to propagate this plant - either cut off the foliage tuft from the top of the fruit, peel of the lower leaves and then pot this up, or wait until the parent plant produces offsets, and pot these up.