grape Black Hamburg ('Schiava Grossa')
black hamburg grape
20% off Autumn colour
- Standard £4.99
- Next / named day £6.99
- Click & collect FREE
- Position: full sun
- Soil: well-drained, preferably neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to July
- Flower colour: tiny green flowers
- Other features: stunning autumnal foliage
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A vigorous grape vine that grows well in a greenhouse, as well as outside against a south or south-west facing wall. It is one of the easiest grapes to grow, though only sets fruit outdoors after a long, hot summer. In a greenhouse it sets freely, producing large bunches of sweet tasting dark red or purple, seeded grapes year after year.
- Garden care: When planting incorporate plenty of well-rotted organic matter in to the planting hole. It will need some help to clamber up a tree, wall or pergola so you will need to provide some support and tie it in as it grows. Once it has developed a good framework you should shorten all the lateral shoots to within two or three buds from the main stem. It is essential that the majority of the pruning work is tackled in mid winter as the sap tends to 'bleed' at other times of the year, but you can cut back the odd over-long stem to a healthy bud in summer.
There are currently no articles for this item.