Vinca minor 'La Grave'
lesser periwinkle (syn. 'Bowles Variety')
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any but very dry soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: April to September
- Flower colour: lavender-blue
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Lovely, lavender-blue flowers over a long period from April to September and dark green leaves. The long, trailing stems of this prostrate, evergreen shrub are excellent for suppressing weeds in sun or partial shade. Allegedly the best blue-flowered variety and less invasive than Vinca major, it's particularly suitable for smaller gardens.
- Garden care: To prevent the plant from becoming invasive cut back any unwanted shoots in spring.
‘One year's seed is seven year's weed’, or so the saying goes, so the most important thing an organic gardener (and non-organic gardener for that matter) can do is prevent weeds from flowering and setting seed. A horrifying example of...Read full article
Use the following notes as a guide when pruning trees, shrubs and climbers in your garden during the month of March. I’ve included timely advice on Abeliophyllum, Artemesia, Brachyglottis, Brunfelsia, Buddleja, Ceanothus, Clematis, Colutea, Cotinus, Daphne, Eccremocarpus, Elsholtzia, ...Read full article