Tulipa 'Green Wave'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May
- Flower colour: pale lavender-pink flushed with green
- Other features: excellent cut-flowers
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 11/12
From rounded buds, fringed and ruffled petals unfurl to form elegant and intriguing flowers that make spectacular additions to arrangements when cut. Shades of blush and lipstick pink mix easily with green, and when teamed with dark plum anthers, which only become visible once the flower is fully open, it becomes a truly winning combination.
- Garden care:In September to December plant bulbs 15-20cm deep and 10-15cm apart in fertile, well-drained soil. Alternatively, allow 7-9 bulbs per 30cm sq. After flowering dead-head and apply a balanced liquid fertiliser each week for the first month. Once the foliage has died down naturally lift the bulbs and store in a cool greenhouse.
- Harmful if eaten/may cause skin allergy
Tips of emerging leaves appear brown and scorched, and often shrivel and rot. The foliage soon becomes covered in a grey fungus. Brown spots appear on the leaves and flowers, which may also rot.Read full article
Spring bulbs, such as daffodils and hyacinths, can be planted whenever the soil conditions allow. As a rough guide, cover them with about twice as much soil as the bulb is deep: so that a 5cm (2in) deep bulb would need a 15cm (6in) deep hole so that itRead full article
Bulbs are ideal for anyone who rates themselves as 'keen-but-clueless' because they are one of the easiest plants to grow. Provided you plant them at the right time of year at more or less the right depth, they will reward you year after year with a relRead full article