Tulipa 'Blue Ribbon'
triumph tulip bulbs
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April
- Flower colour: deep plum
- Other features: excellent cut-flowers
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 11/12
A classically shaped, deep plum (not blue) coloured tulip which fades to lilac around the edges of the petals. Being a triumph tulip it is robust and has long lived flowers. Plant it up densely into pots so you can move it to a prominent spot on the patio when they are at their best.
- Garden care: In September to December plant bulbs 15-20cm deep and 10-15cm apart in fertile, well-drained soil. Alternatively, allow 7-9 bulbs per 30cm sq. After flowering dead-head and apply a balanced liquid fertiliser each week for the first month. Once the foliage has died down naturally lift the bulbs and store in a cool greenhouse.
- Harmful if eaten/may cause skin allergy
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Disappointing Colour
Comments about Crocus Tulipa'Blue Ribbon':
I bought some of these from Crocus a couple of years ago and planted with care (on grit). The flowers were a grubby beigey pink, not at all like the lovely clear pink in the photo. Few of them came up in the second year - unlike the other tulips that were planted in the same way at the same time - but that is just as well as they were not attractive.
- Your Gardening Experience:
Tips of emerging leaves appear brown and scorched, and often shrivel and rot. The foliage soon becomes covered in a grey fungus. Brown spots appear on the leaves and flowers, which may also rot.Read full article
Spring bulbs, such as daffodils and hyacinths, can be planted whenever the soil conditions allow. As a rough guide, cover them with about twice as much soil as the bulb is deep: so that a 5cm (2in) deep bulb would need a 15cm (6in) deep hole so that itRead full article
Bulbs are ideal for anyone who rates themselves as 'keen-but-clueless' because they are one of the easiest plants to grow. Provided you plant them at the right time of year at more or less the right depth, they will reward you year after year with a relRead full article