- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: well-drained, fertile soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing to average
- Flowering period: June to August
- Flower colour: yellow
- Other features: on female plants the flowers are followed by spherical, blue-black fruit
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
The upright, unbranching stem is clothed with fan-shaped, rich green fronds that can grow up to 75cm long. As the plant matures, it will also produce pendulous clusters of yellow flowers near the leaf bases in summer, which on female plants will be followed by near-black fruits. A wonderful plant for exotic and jungle-style planting schemes, it can tolerate a short periods of light frosts, but will need protection in more exposed areas.
- Garden care: In autumn wrap plants with a protective layer of hessian or frost fleece and apply a deep, dry mulch of straw or bracken around the base of the plant.
The trick to achieving the tropical effect is good preparation and dense planting, vivid foliage, fiery flowers and striking contrasts. The jungle garden is a place for theatrical planning and planting. If you don't have room or the inclination...Read full article