The urban garden collection
vegetable plug plant collection
No garden? No problem! A windowbox is all you need to snip fresh-grown salads and herbs for the kitchen. Come to think of it, even if you have got a garden this is a great way to grow easy-to-access veg.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: humus-rich, moisture retentive soil
- Rate of growth: fast
- Hardiness: tender
Here is proof that you can grow vegetables in even the smallest spaces - in fact you dont even need a garden at all! All the plants in this collection will happily grow in pots or containers, so all you need for this space-conscious collection is a few sunny windowsills, a balcony or an itsy-bitsy patio.
Suitable for filling a vegetable patch aproximately 3m², or can be potted up and grown in 3 troughs/ windowboxes, or a small raised bed.
The collection contains the following seasonal selection -
- 5 x herbs (mixed) - you will receive a selection which will include some of the following.
Flat leaf parsley and curley parsley- aromatic and tasty leaves, which will keep on coming after cutting.
Corriander - commonly used in asian and middle eastern cooking, the leaves have a fresh, citrus taste.
Fennel - the bulbs can be used in salads, braised or roasted, whilst the leaves can be used in many different dishes.
Chives - delicious simpley as a garnish or when made into a herby butter. Great with soups, omlettes, scrambled eggs and salads.
- 10 x lettuce (mixed) You will receive a selection of lettuce from the following tasty varieties.
'Lilian' - a butternut type with firm heads that are succulent and sweet.
'Pearl' - a little gem lettuce with a delicious, sweet taste.
'Rushmoor' - a red salad, with stunning oak-shaped, deep red leaves.
- 20 x spring onions 'Lisbon' - Excellent taste, and essential to enhance any salad. Very slow to bolt.
- 4 x tomato 'Tumbler' - an F1 hybrid with very sweet cherry tomatoes. Ideal for tubs, troughs and hanging baskets. Suited for outdoor growing.
- 1 x packet of seeds, mangetout 'Oregon Sugar Pod' - deliciously sweet and crunchy producing large fleshy double pods. Perfect in salads, lightly steamed or stir fried.
- 4 x cucumber 'Tokyo Slicer ' Recently awarded an AGM this is a high yielding outdoor variety with long smooth fruits.
- 4 x sweet pepper (mixed red & green) - these plants are incredibly versatile and are ideal for salads or stir fries. You will receive 2 of each green & red varieties.
'Californian Wonder' - beautiful bell shaped green fruits with a very sweet crisp taste. 'Long Red Marconi' - masses of long thin fruits are produced from this new Italian variety. They have a particularly mild sweet taste, ideal for salads and stir fry.
- 10 x spinach 'Perpetual' - succulent, prolific and very hardy, this spinach will hardly ever run to seed in its first season.
Please note: The contents of this pack may vary slightly depending upon the season.
- Garden care: Plant them out as soon as they arrive in a sunny spot. Make sure they are kept well watered and feed with a liquid fertiliser that is high in potash throughou throughout the growing season. You may need to provide growing supports for the taller plants.
View Planting Plan
If you just want to grow a few vegetables or have suffered losses with early sowings, buying plants is a great way to play catch-up. Buying plants also allows you to grow vegetables if you do not have the facilities to raise them from seed yourself or wheRead full article