The Early Greenhouse & Salad Collection
vegetable plug plant collection
Summer wouldn't be summer without the Mediterranean crops: deepest purple aubergines and vines dripping with heavy, ripe tomatoes. These heat-lovers relish a sunny greenhouse and you'll relish their rich homegrown taste.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: humus-rich, moisture retentive soil
- Rate of growth: fast
- Hardiness: tender
Greenhouses are great for extending the growing season as you have a degree of control over the environment. Warmer air and soil temperatures mean that you can start crops of earlier and still be enjoying the harvest when those plants left outside have long passed it. All the plants that make up this collection will thrive in the warmer conditions inside a greenhouse.
Suitable for growing in big pots and growbags in an average sized greenhouse.
The collection contains the following seasonal selection -
- 5 x herbs (mixed) - you will receive a selection which will include some of the following.
Flat leaf parsley and curley parsley- aromatic and tasty leaves, which will keep on coming after cutting. Corriander - commonly used in asian and middle eastern cooking, the leaves have a fresh, citrus taste. Fennel - the bulbs can be used in salads, braised or roasted, whilst the leaves can be used in many different dishes. Chives - delicious simpley as a garnish or when made into a herby butter. Great with soups, omlettes, scrambled eggs and salads.
- 4 x sweet pepper (mixed red & green) - these plants are incredibly versatile and are ideal for salads or stir fries. You will receive 2 green & 2 red varieties.
'Californian Wonder' - beautiful bell shaped green fruits with a very sweet crisp taste. 'Long Red Marconi' - masses of long thin fruits are produced from this new Italian variety. They have a particularly mild sweet taste, ideal for salads and stir fry.
- 1 x cucumber 'Marketmore' A tasty straight fruiting slicing cucumber which has excellent resistance to powdery mildew. ideal for growing in pots and growbags.
- 1 x aubergine 'Moneymaker' - a vigorous variety with dark purple delicious tasting fruits. Great for a stir-fry.
- 5 x wild rocket Spice up your salads with this easy to grow herb. The younger leaves can be used for a more mild taste.
- 10 x lettuce (mixed) You will receive a selection of lettuce from the following tasty varieties. 'Roselee - A vibrant red oakleaf with very good flavour and resistant to mildew
'Pearl' - a little gem lettuce with a delicious, sweet taste. 'Sonya' - Bright green firm heads, succulent with a delicious sweet taste. Great on its own or in a mixed salad.
- 20 x spring onion 'shimonita - A new Japanese spring onion variety with a much thicker stem than usual and a very sweet taste.
Please note: The contents of this pack may vary slightly depending upon the season.
- Garden care: Plant them out as soon as they arrive in a sunny spot. Make sure they are kept well watered and feed with a liquid fertiliser that is high in potash throughout the growing season. You may need to provide growing supports for the taller plants.