Syringa vulgaris 'Sensation'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of Growth: average
- Flowering period: May and June
- Flowers: purple red and white flowers
- Other features: heart shaped, dark green leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The single, rich purple-red flowers of this rare lilac have a distict white edge to each petal creating a beautiful bi-colour effect. They are highly fragrant and appear in great trusses in late spring when they will fill the air with their sweet scent. Ideal for wildlife-friendly gardens, these much-loved shrubs can also be trained to form small trees.
- Garden care: In mid summer remove the faded flower heads carefully using secateurs to avoid damaging the young shoots. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant in early spring.