Summer Salads Collection
vegetable plug plant collection
Fresh salad leaves eaten seconds after picking spoil you for bagged supermarket salads forever. Sweet, firm and crunchy, they're also a doddle to grow: just add compost and water!
- Position: full sun
- Soil: humus-rich, moisture retentive soil
- Rate of growth: fast
- Hardiness: tender
This garden is ideal for those with limited space or who have never tried growing at home before. It is simple and quick to plant.
Suitable for filling a vegetable patch aproximately 3m².this collection can also be successfully grown in big containers or grow bags.
The collection contains the following seasonal selection -
- 20 x spring onions 'White Lisbon' - one of the most productive and vigorous varieties with a long harvest period.
- 10 x rocket 'Sky Rocket' - a vigorous plant that has an upright habit. It has a delicious, peppery flavour and is slow to bolt and resistant to mildew.
- 20 x lettuce (mixed) Which may include 10 x 'Cancan' - a cut and come again lettuce. Delicious on its own or in a mixed salad. 10 x 'Rushmoor' - a red salad, with stunning oak-shaped, deep red leaves.
- 1 x packet of baby leaf mixed salad seeds - a mixture of 14 varieties of lettuce and radicchio varieties which should be sown every 2-3 weeks to give a continuous crop throughout the summer and autumn.
- 20 x onions (mixed, 10 red & 10 white) We will send tasty varieties which may include; 'Hypark' - a very early large, white cooking onion variety. 'Red Pearl' - a top-quality, vibrant red variety.
- 5 x mixed herbs - you will receive a selection from the following types. Chives - a strong onion flavour which is great for salads, soups and stews. Thyme - a highly aromatic perennial that can be harvested all year round giving winter casseroles a warm peppery flavour. Flat leaved parsley - has a strong flavour and is useful in Italian, French and Middle Eastern cuisine. Curley leaved parsley - often used as a garnish, the leaves have a delicious taste and are widely used. Dill - perfect for seasoning gravlax, borscht and other soups, the seeds can also be used as a spice.
- 4 x cucumber 'La Diva' This hybrid variety has won awards for its crisp texture and its sweet taste.14- 16cm in length.
- 4 x plum tomato 'Azriel' - produces round to elongated fruits which are a lovely deep red in colour and full of flavour
- 5 x Nasturtium - a perfect companion plant which is decorative as well as edible. Both the flowers and leaves are edible. The leaves have a peppery taste and the flowers look great as a garnish.
Please note: The contents of this pack may vary slightly depending upon the season.
- Garden care: Plant them out as soon as they arrive in a sunny spot. Make sure they are kept well watered and feed with a liquid fertiliser that is high in potash throughou throughout the growing season. You may need to provide growing supports for the taller plants.
View Planting Plan
Do you want to ask a question about this?If so, click on the button and fill in the box below. We will post the question on the website, together with your alias (bunnykins, digger1, plantdotty etc etc) and where you are from (Sunningdale/Glasgow etc). We'll also post the answer to your question!
Q:Can I mix the kitchen garden collection?
I would like to order one of these collections, but do not want the tomatoes. Could you substitute these for something else - chard for instance?Asked on 3/18/2008 by Barbara Thompson
A:I'm afraid that as these collections come direct from our specialist growers, we are not able to offer any substitutes. I'm sorry if this causes any disappointment.Answered on 3/18/2008 by Crocus