Summer Salads Collection
vegetable plug plant collection
Fresh salad leaves eaten seconds after picking spoil you for bagged supermarket salads forever. Sweet, firm and crunchy, they're also a doddle to grow: just add compost and water!
- Position: full sun
- Soil: humus-rich, moisture retentive soil
- Rate of growth: fast
- Hardiness: tender
This collection is ideal for those with limited space or who have never tried growing at home before. The salads in this collection are simple and quick to plant.
Suitable for filling a vegetable patch aproximately 3m².this collection can also be successfully grown in big containers or grow bags.
The collection contains the following seasonal selection -
- 20 x spring onions 'White Lisbon' - one of the most productive and vigorous varieties with a long harvest period.
- 10 x rocket 'Sky Rocket' - a vigorous plant that has an upright habit. It has a delicious, peppery flavour and is slow to bolt and resistant to mildew.
- 20 x lettuce (mixed) You will receive a selection of lettuce from the following tasty varieties. 'Roselee - A vibrant red oakleaf with very good flavour and resistant to mildew
'Pearl' - a little gem lettuce with a delicious, sweet taste. 'Sonya' - Bright green firm heads, succulent with a delicious sweet taste. Great on its own or in a mixed salad.
- 1 x packet of baby leaf mixed salad seeds - a mixture of 14 varieties of lettuce and radicchio varieties which should be sown every 2-3 weeks to give a continuous crop throughout the summer and autumn.
- 20 x onions (mixed, 10 red & 10 white) We will send tasty varieties which may include; 'Hypark' - a very early large, white cooking onion variety. 'Red Pearl' - a top-quality, vibrant red variety.
- 5 x herbs (mixed) - you will receive a selection which will include some of the following.
Flat leaf parsley and curley parsley- aromatic and tasty leaves, which will keep on coming after cutting. Corriander - commonly used in asian and middle eastern cooking, the leaves have a fresh, citrus taste. Fennel - the bulbs can be used in salads, braised or roasted, whilst the leaves can be used in many different dishes. Chives - delicious simpley as a garnish or when made into a herby butter. Great with soups, omlettes, scrambled eggs and salads.
- 4 x cucumber 'Tokyo Slicer Recently awarded an AGM this is a high yielding outdoor variety with long smooth fruits. This hybrid variety has won awards for its crisp texture and its sweet taste.14- 16cm in length.
- 4 x tomato 'Ailsa Craig' - An excellent old variety with fantastic flavour and deep red firm fruits
Please note: The contents of this pack may vary slightly depending upon the season.
- Garden care: Plant them out as soon as they arrive in a sunny spot. Make sure they are kept well watered and feed with a liquid fertiliser that is high in potash throughou throughout the growing season. You may need to provide growing supports for the taller plants.
View Planting Plan
Do you want to ask a question about this?If so, click on the button and fill in the box below. We will post the question on the website, together with your alias (bunnykins, digger1, plantdotty etc etc) and where you are from (Sunningdale/Glasgow etc). We'll also post the answer to your question!
Q:Can I mix the kitchen garden collection?
I would like to order one of these collections, but do not want the tomatoes. Could you substitute these for something else - chard for instance?Asked on 18/3/2008 by Barbara Thompson
A:I'm afraid that as these collections come direct from our specialist growers, we are not able to offer any substitutes. I'm sorry if this causes any disappointment.Answered on 18/3/2008 by Crocus