cape primrose collection
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, moist but well-drained soil or fibre-based compost if grown indoors
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: usually throughout the year
- Hardiness: tender (will need to be over-wintered indoors, or in a shaded greenhouse)
Grown for their showy flowers, which come in a wide range of colours, these tender perennials make superb houseplants. They will flower from mid-spring to mid-autumn and tend to bloom more prolifically when slightly pot-bound. Mainly originating from woodland, rocky slopes and grassland in southern Africa, they require a frost-free position with filtered sun. Water regularly during the growing season, allowing the compost to get a little dry in-between, during this time they should also be fed with a high potash fertiliser. Overwinter in a shaded greenhouse, or indoors on an south or west-facing windowsill, watering less often. Repot each spring into a slightly larger, shallow pot filled with fibre based compost. They can also be used as summer bedding, grow in fertile, humus-rich, moist but well-drained soil in partial shade.
In this collection you will receive one of each of the following varieties.
- Streptocarpus 'D S Horus':Strong stems support the giant-sized, slightly ruffled flowers that open a rich yellow, but fade to a soft pink as they age. Height: 40cm.
- Streptocarpus 'Falling Stars':Dainty sky blue flowers appear in profusion putting on a really showy display. Hailed as 'one of our best' by the breeder Dibleys, it is ear;y flowering and easy to grow. Height: 30cm.
- Streptocarpus 'Scarlett':Masses of vibrant scarlet flowers, each with a darker plum eye top the stems that rise above mid-green foliage. Height: 30cm.
- Streptocarpus 'Marion':New for 2015, this white and blue-flowering sport (of 'Katie') has an exceptionally long flowering season and a neat and tidy habit. Height: 40cm.
- Streptocarpus 'Caitlin':Hairy wrinkled leaves form a neat basal rosette, which is topped with an abundance of upright branching stems bearing two-tone pink flowers. Height: 40cm.
- Streptocarpus 'Supernova':Small bicoloured sky-blue and deep purple flowers appear in large numbers for up to 10 months of the year, making this a real showstopper. Height: 30cm.
- Garden care: Water regularly during the growing season, allowing the compost to get a little dry in-between, during this time they should be fed with a high potash fertiliser. Overwinter in a shaded greenhouse, or indoors on an south or west-facing windowsill, watering less often. Repot each spring into a slightly larger, shallow pot filled with fibre based compost.
There are currently no 'goes well with' suggestions for this item.
Which house plants you choose should depend on the environment you intend to keep them in, the space available, how much time you can spend preening them as well as your personal preference. For me, foliage house plants are the ticket, because they providRead full article
If you do nothing else...water new plants. Make sure new additions do not suffer during dry spells. Plant up summer containers bedding once the threat of frosts has passed. Feed container plants about six weeks after planting. If it’s a nice day...trim heRead full article