Sorbus 'Eastern Promise'
- Position: full sun or lightly dappled shade
- Soil: tolerates all soils
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April to May
- Flower colour: white
- Other features: attractive coral-pink berries
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A lovely small, oval-headed tree with dark green leaflets that turn a deep purple then a fiery-orange in autumn. Clusters of coral-pink berries in dense clusters, often weigh down the branches in autumn. An outstanding tree which can tolerate a wide range of soils and conditions.
- Garden care: Requires minimal pruning. Remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in late autumn or winter. When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting hole and stake firmly.
Wildlife-friendly gardens are not only more interesting as you can watch all the comings and goings, but they are often more productive as many creatures will help increase pollination. Garden ponds act as a magnet to dragonflies and damsel flies, along wRead full article
The garden is at its most dormant right now, so it’s a good time to catch up on any pruning missed or forgotten since the autumn. If the weather isn’t favourable, you can leave it for a week or two, but make sure all winter pruning is completed before theRead full article
October sees the start of the dormant season which is the best time to prune lots of deciduous garden trees. You can prune newly planted trees to remove any damaged growth and help balance the shape of the canopy as well as maintain a dominant main leaderRead full article