Skimmia japonica 'Rubella'
Japanese skimmia (male)
- Position: partial to full shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April to May
- Flower colour: pink
- Other features: male plant
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A compact male shrub with red-margined, deep green leaves. Dark red flower buds are produced in autumn and these last all through the winter until the flowers open in spring. A great shrub for growing in a pot or for filling in gaps in the garden border.
- Garden care: Lightly trim after flowering, if necessary. To improve the moisture retention qualities of the soil add plenty of well-rotted compost when planting.
The following notes can be used as a guide when pruning trees, shrubs and climbers in your garden during the month of March. It's timely advice if you have any of the following in your garden. Abeliophyllum, Artemesia, Brachyglottis, Brunfelsia, BuddlejaRead full article