- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained, neutral to slightly alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy, short-lived perennial
Fragrant lilac-purple to claret-red flowers, top wiry stems for several months from early summer. These button-like flowers are rich in nectar, so act as a magnet to beneficial insects such as bees and butterflies, which makes them ideal for wildlife-friendly gardens. Plant them in naturalised drifts or clumps through the herbaceous border, making sure you have some extras that can be used for cut flowers.
- Garden care: Sow shallowly in trays filled with good, moist but freely draining compost. Keeping the tray well watered, place in a warm, semi-shaded spot and keep temperatures around 20°C until they have germinated. When large enough to handle, pot on into small pots and grow on at cooler temperatures. Gradually harden off before planting outside at 30 - 45cm intervals.
- Sow: February-April
- Flowering: June-August
- Approximate quantity: 30 seeds
There are currently no 'goes well with' suggestions for this item.