Scabiosa atropurpurea 'Fire King'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained, neutral to slightly alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to August
- Flower colour: reddish-plum
- Other features: the flowers are highly attractive to butterflies and bees; valuable for fresh and dried flower arrangements
- Hardiness: hardy short-lived perennial
- Garden care: Sow shallowly in trays filled with good, moist but freely draining compost. Keeping the tray well watered, place in a warm, semi-shaded spot and keep temperatures around 20°C until they have germinated. When large enough to handle, pot on into small pots and grow on at cooler temperatures. Gradually harden off before planting outside at 30 - 45cm intervals.
- Sow: February-April
- Flowering: June-August
- Approximate quantity: 75 seeds.
Fab, rich reddish-plum flowers with contrasting white stigmas, top sturdy upright stems throughout the summer. This pincushion flower is easy to grow and is very attractive to bees and butterflies. It looks wonderful in naturalised planting schemes, especially when mixed with fresh greens and rich purples.
There are currently no 'goes well with' suggestions for this item.