Rudbeckia laciniata 'Goldquelle'
Waist-high or less double yellow daisy softened by green centres - a great cut flower and stunningly fresh in muggy August
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, preferably heavy but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Flower colour: lemon-yellow
- Other features: finely-divided, toothed, mid-green leaves; excellent, long-lasting cut-flowers
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Large, fully double, lemon-yellow flowers from July to October with contrasting green centres that turn yellow as they age. This tall but compact form of coneflower is a perfect back-of-border plant. Excellent for cutting, for the best results chose a sunny site that doesn't dry out over summer.
- Garden care: Lift and divide congested colonies in autumn or spring. Support with ring stakes or brushwood well before the flowers appear.
All pests have natural enemies. The trick in an organic garden is to encourage these beneficial insects and other creatures to take up residence in your garden so that they can do the pest management for you. The most effective...Read full article
An organic garden should also be a wildlife-friendly garden. Not only is it wonderful to see nature at work, but many creatures will help you achieve better results. The ponds in my garden act as a magnet to dragonflies and...Read full article
The traditional cottage garden was an intensive, yet carefree mixture of fruit, vegetables, herbs and flowers all crowded into a tiny space. Today, this informal charm can be recreated using modern varieties that largely take care of themselves around an...Read full article