- Standard £4.99
- Next / named day £6.99
- Click & collect FREE
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, humus-rich, acid soil or ericaceous compost
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: February and March
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of funnel-shaped, pinkish-purple flowers appear in late-winter and early spring, shown off to great effect against the backdrop of small, dark green leaves. This early flowering, (mainly) evergreen rhododendron will make a fabulous informal hedge, but it is also pretty enough to use as a stand alone specimen. One of the first rhododendrons into bloom each year, it is also one of the best for a sunny spot.
- Garden care: Avoid planting too deeply. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of leaf mould around the base of the plant each spring. To maintain a dense habit, prune it hard every two or three years. Please note that as a semi-evergreen variety, 'Praecox' may lose some or all of its leaves in a hard winter and in cold weather the more exposed leaves will often become spotty in response to the colder temperatures.
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Accurate Instructions
Comments about Rhododendron 'Praecox':
A large healthy plant supplied. Planted at the edge of woodland and it seems happy, hoping it will over winter well and keep growing
- Your Gardening Experience:
- Keen but clueless
There are currently no articles for this item.