Pyracantha Saphyr Jaune ('Cadaune') (PBR)
firethorn (syn. Saphyr Yellow)
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May
- Flower colour: pure white
- Other features: bright yellow berries
- Hardiness: fully hardy
To find out more about how to plant a hedge, click here
Upright, later spreading, evergreen shrub with dark green leaves, spiny branches and bunches of small white flowers in late spring. These are followed by a profusion of bright yellow berries in autumn. It is for these showy berries that it is grown, providing colour in the garden when there is little else. It can be grown as a free-standing shrub, against a wall or as a hedge.
- Garden care: When planting incorporate plenty of well-rotted organic matter in to the planting hole. Prune hedges in early to mid-summer. In early spring, trim out misplaced or crossing branches on free-standing shrubs. Tie in any shoots to extend the framework of wall shrubs, and shorten branches to about 2 or 3 leaves from the base after flowering to expose the berries.
Wildlife-friendly gardens are not only more interesting as you can watch all the comings and goings, but they are often more productive as many creatures will help increase pollination. Garden ponds act as a magnet to dragonflies and damsel flies, along wRead full article
Late summer is the best time to prune many midsummer-flowering shrubs to keep them vigorous and flowering well. It is also the ideal time to prune several trees that are prone to bleeding if pruned at other times, and it’s not too late to complete the pruRead full article