- Position: full sun
- Soil: tolerates most soils
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Flower colour: pale pink
- Other features: one of the first to flower
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Lush bronze-red foliage turns rich red in summer and then brilliant red in early autumn. Clouds of pale pink blooms cover the branches in mid-spring followed by glossy crimson fruit. This medium sized, spreading tree is one of the best cherries for autumnal colour, reliably turning colour before most other trees.
- Garden care: When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting hole and stake firmly. Prune in summer to reduce the risk of silver leaf and bacterial canker. Cut back any dead, diseased or branches which cross to healthy wood.
Early-summer- flowering shrubs can be pruned this month to keep them vigorous and flowering well. It is also the ideal time to prune several trees that are prone to bleeding if pruned at other times, and it’s not too late to complete the pruning jobs forRead full article
Make the most of over 3000 years of gardening tradition by creating an oriental-style garden. Originally designed as a place for intellectual contemplation and meditation, they are an ideal sanctuary from the pressures of modern living. Japanese gardens aRead full article