- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, humus-rich, neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: fast growing
- Flowering period: April to June
- Flower colour: purple
- Other features: spoon-shaped, mid-green leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Nicknamed the drumstick primrose, this variety sends up vibrant purple pompoms of flowers from mid spring to early summer above spoon-shaped, bright green leaves. This primula looks great planted in a partially shady garden border with white flowers, or among ferns. The flowers provide a striking colour contrast and associate well with other spring-flowering bulbs.
- Garden care: Divide large clumps after the plant has flowered, preferably during a wet spell.