Pittosporum tobira 'Nanum'
mini standard Japanese mock orange
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May and June
- Flower colour: creamy-white
- Other features: spherical, yellow-brown seed capsules
- Hardiness: half hardy 9will need winter protection)
This compact, rounded evergreen shrub has been trained to form a mini-standard. It has lustrous, deep green leaves and in late spring and early summer it is covered in honey-scented, creamy-white flowers. In warmer areas it's a perfect plant for sunny, sub-tropical garden in a warm coastal site. Dense and a sunny patio or enclosed courtyard garden. In frost-prone areas plant close to a south or west-facing wall.
- Garden care: Requires minimal pruning. To thin or reduce growth prune mid-spring and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant.