Phyllostachys aureosulcata f. spectabilis
showy yellow-groove bamboo
Probably the best colour-caned bamboo with custard-yellow hulms bar coded in deep green and this bamboo can produce zigzag stems as well
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Leaves: narrow, mid-green
- Canes: green-grooved, golden-yellow turning bright red in sunlight
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Tall bamboo with green-grooved, golden-yellow canes, which can flash with shades of red in the sun, fading to darker yellow with age. This colourful variety looks great alongside the ebony-black canes of the black bamboo, Phyllostachys nigra. This aptly named coloured-stemmed bamboo is one of our 'highly recommended plants'.
- Garden care: Plant in a large container or surround the roots with a non-perishable barrier that restricts the plant's spread.
Prevention is better than cure with diseases in the garden so keep your plants growing as strongly as possible – allowing them to fight off infections naturally. A weak plant is much more likely to fall prey than a good,...Read full article
The trick to achieving the tropical effect is good preparation and dense planting, vivid foliage, fiery flowers and striking contrasts. The jungle garden is a place for theatrical planning and planting. If you don't have room or the inclination...Read full article