The best white double beyond a doubt - with a mixture of lemon and vanilla scent on a medium-shrub - adored by bees and very good with old-fashioned roses
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June and July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
In June and July this lovely deciduous shrub is smothered with highly fragrant, double, pure white flowers among dark green leaves that turn yellow in autumn. This tall, vigorous variety of mock orange looks wonderful towards the back of a mixed or shrub border, where on warm summer evenings, the delicate, orange-blossom fragrance floats on the breeze. It is a magnet for bees and can also cope with urban pollution and salt-laden air.
- Garden care: Mulch around the roots in spring with a deep layer of well-rotted garden compost or manure. Prune in late summer, immediately after flowering, removing one in four of the older stems to ground level.
Late summer is the best time to prune many midsummer-flowering shrubs to keep them vigorous and flowering well. It is also the ideal time to prune several trees that are prone to bleeding if pruned at other times, and it’s...Read full article