pear 'Conference / Doyenné du Comice'
duo cordon pear
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April
- Flower colour: white
- Other features: delicious dessert pears
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Pollination Group: B & C - flowering mid and late season
- Root Stock: Qunice 'A'
An ingenious idea, this Duo-cordon has two different varieties of pears, one on top of the other, grafted onto one rootstock. The result is a tree that will produce 'Conference' pears near the bottom of the tree and 'Doyenné du Comice' near the top. The chosen varieties will be able to cross-pollinate freely, so there is no need to plant another tree nearby. This makes it particularly useful for smaller gardens. This tree has been grafted with the following varieties -
'Conference' - the pure white flowers of this dessert pear are followed by delicious, long, yellowish green fruits in late September. A popular choice in the UK as it copes well with adverse conditions better than most.
'Doyenné du Comice' - this delightful dessert pear tree is covered by pure white flowers in mid spring, followed by large fruits, renowned for their excellent flavour.
- Garden care: Pears naturally shed a small quantity of the developing fruits in mid summer. After this has occurred thin out the remaining pears, leaving one pear per cluster. Apply a high-nitrogen feed in spring.
- Pollination Information: The varieties on this trees can cross pollinate freely, so you will not need another pollinating partner.
There are currently no articles for this item.