pear Benita ('Rafzas')
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April
- Flower colour: pure white
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Pollination Group: B - flowering mid season
- Root Stock: Quince A
A new variety, that is a cross between an Asian and European pear. The result is a large, golden skinned oval fruit that has a delicious, crisp and juicy flesh. They can be harvested from mid-September and the fruits last well after being picked. Noted for its hardiness and disease resistance, this pear is set to become a firm favourite.
- Garden care: Pears naturally shed a small quantity of the developing fruits in mid summer. After this has occurred thin out the remaining pears, leaving one pear per cluster. Add a high-nitrogen feed in spring.
- Pollination Information: This pear belongs to pollination group B, so you will need need to plant one other different variety of pear to guarantee cross pollination, and a subsequent bumper crop. Ideally this should come from the same pollination group, however it is possible to use one from group A or C as well.