Papaver orientale 'Manhattan' (New York Series)
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moist, well-drained
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to June
- Flower colour: plum-red
- Other features: dried seedheads are useful for flower arrangements
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Garden care: Cut back to ground level after flowering. Lift and divide large clumps in autumn.
Beautiful plum-red flowers with dark centres are produced in late spring to early summer above bristly, grey-green leaves. This delicious oriental poppy looks fabulous planted blue-flowering plants, such as Nepeta x faassenii. Perfect for a sunny garden border and will tolerate most soil conditions.