- Position: full sun
- Soil: moist, well-drained
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to August
- Flower colour: mixed, cream, red, orange, yellow and pink
- Other features: the flowers look wonderful in a vase
- Hardiness: hardy biennial (or annual)
- Garden care:Sow shallowly, directly into a well prepared bed in spring and water well. As the seedlings develop, thin them out to 30cm intervals keeping just the healthiest and most robust plants. Protect the emerging seedlings from slugs and snails. Deadheading will help prolong the flowering period.
- Sow: March-May
- Flowering: June-August
- Approximate quantity: 1200 seeds
Icelandic poppies are perfect for a sunny border or cottage garden where they will produce an abundance of colourful blooms throughout the summer. The flowers come in shades of orange, red, cream, yellow and pink, and are held on sturdy stems above the foliage. They look dazzling in a vase and should be gathered in bud the evening before they're needed.