Paeonia lactiflora 'Monsieur Jules Elie'
paeony / peony
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moisture-retentive yet well-drained
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to July
- Flower colour: pink
- Other features: ideal as cut flowers
- Hardiness:fully hardy
Rose pink, fragrant, double summer flowers with a silver sheen contrast well with the green leaves. It is an heirloom variety dating from the late nineteenth century, and for decades it has been one of the most popular pink peonies. A delightful plant, which is perfect for the middle of a partially sunny border, the scented blooms make fabulous cut flowers.
- Garden care:In early spring apply a balanced slow-release fertiliser around the base of the plant and mulch with well-rotted compost or manure. Fungal diseases may occur in cool, wet springs so prune out any affected parts and spray the remaining sections with fungicide. Deadhead after flowering.
The traditional cottage garden was an intensive, yet carefree mixture of fruit, vegetables, herbs and flowers all crowded into a tiny space. Today, this informal charm can be recreated using modern varieties that largely take care of themselves around an...Read full article