Paeonia lactiflora 'Festiva Maxima'
paeony / peony
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moisture-retentive yet well-drained
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to July
- Flower colour: white
- Other features: mid green leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Garden care: Deadhead after flowering. In early spring apply a balanced slow-release fertiliser around the base of the plant and mulch with well-rotted compost or manure. Fungal diseases may occur in cool, wet springs so prune out any affected parts and spray the remaining sections with fungicide.
Exquisite, double flowers, that open with a pink blush, but quickly fade to creamy-white (while sometimes keeping a smattering of crimson flecks), appear from early to midsummer above the mid green leaves. One of the most popular old varieties, the enormous rose scented flowers are often more than 20cm across. Plant it close to a pathway or entrance, where the fabulous scent can be really appreciated.
The traditional cottage garden was an intensive, yet carefree mixture of fruit, vegetables, herbs and flowers all crowded into a tiny space. Today, this informal charm can be recreated using modern varieties that largely take care of themselves around an...Read full article