- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: April and May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of scented, white, jasmine-like flowers appear on arching branches in mid and late spring among glossy, dark grey-green leaves with finely serrated edges. This evergreen shrub can occasionally grow up to 6m tall, but it usually retains a more compact and rounded, bushy shape. It thrives on well-drained soil in dappled shade. To enjoy the fragrant flowers, plant near an entrance or well-used path.
- Garden care: Minimal pruning is required. Remove misplaced, dead or diseased branches in late spring and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant.