A lovely focal point against a warm sheltered wall in a Mediterranean garden; grow in containers as a half-standard in a sheltered spot; offers fantastic evergreen form in a sheltered winter garden
- Position: full sun
- Soil: deep, fertile, sharply drained soil (or loam-based potting compost for container-grown specimens)
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: June to August
- Flower colour: creamy-white
- Other features: in hot summers the flowers are followed by edible, spherical, green fruits
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
Tiny, fragrant, creamy-white, summer flowers and grey-green leaves, retained all year. This elegant, evergreen tree makes an excellent specimen plant for a sunny, Mediterranean-style garden. In frost-prone areas it's best grown in a large container under glass or planted at the base of a sunny, sheltered wall.
- Garden care: To protect against wind damage stake using a low angled stake, driven into the ground on the windward side at a 45° angle. Water regularly during dry periods, keeping the planting area weed-free. Apply a top-dressing of a nitrogen-rich general purpose fertiliser twice or three times each year during the growing season.