Nymphaea 'Large White'
- Position: full sun
- Depth of water: 75-120cm (30-48in)
- Rate of growth: average
- Ultimate spread: 120cm (48in)
- Height above surface: 0-10cm (0-4in)
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
From summer through to autumn, stunning, fragrant, white, goblet-shaped flowers appear with bright yellow stamens and young bronzed leaves that turn pea-green with age. This large water lily is best grown at a planting depth of 75-120cm (30-48in). It needs plenty of space, so makes an excellent choice for a lake or large, deep, wildlife pond, where the dark green leaves create a shady underwater habitat for native fish and amphibians. The shade cast by the foliage also helps to check the spread of algae.
- Garden care: Plant firmly in a hessian-lined aquatic planting basket filled with aquatic compost. Apply a 2.5cm (1in) top-dressing of pea shingle or gravel to prevent the top layer of the planting medium from clouding the water. The crown of the plant should protrude slightly above the surface of the planting basket. Raise the basket on bricks when the plant is young, gradually lowering them as the plant matures, so that the leaves float on the surface.
Wildlife-friendly gardens are not only more interesting as you can watch all the comings and goings, but they are often more productive as many creatures will help increase pollination. Garden ponds act as a magnet to dragonflies and damsel flies, along wRead full article
A garden pond can transform the atmosphere of a garden, adding colour, light and movement. If you include a pond pump [link] then you can enjoy the soothing sound of moving water too. In a small garden an area of open water can actually increase the senseRead full article
If you do nothing else...water new plants. Make sure new additions do not suffer during dry spells. Plant up summer containers bedding once the threat of frosts has passed. Feed container plants about six weeks after planting. If it’s a nice day...trim heRead full article
Choose a sunny warm day to make the job more pleasant. Use a special aquatic basket with lattice-work sides to plant both marginals for the shallows around the edge of the pond and for deep-water plants such as waterlilies. It is also important to useRead full article