Nigella damascena 'Albion Green Pod'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: any well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast growing
- Flowering period: July to September
- Flower colour: white
- Other features: excellent cut and dried flowers
- Hardiness: hardy annual
Pure white flowers with a prominent boss of stamens are framed by a collar of wispy foliage, creating a beautiful, ethereal effect. As the flowers fade, fantastic green seedpods develop, and both these and the flowers make wonderful additions to fresh or dried arrangements. This very pretty annual is easy to grow, so is a great choice for children, and will thrive in most well-drained soils provided they get lots of sun.
- Garden care:Best sown in situ, 5mm deep. Prepare the seedbed by incorporating some composted organic matter, remove any stones and rake to a fine tilth. Sow in autumn if you want early flowers the following summer, or in mid spring for a later crop. Thin them out when they are large enough to handle allowing 30cm between each. Deadheading regularly will help prolong the flowering period into autumn. Support the plants with twiggy branches in exposed gardens.
- Sow: September-October or March-May
- Flowering: June-September
- Approximate quantity: 350 seeds.
There are currently no articles for this item.