Marigold 'Red Safari'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained soil or a loam-based potting compost
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Flower colour: red
- Other features: contact with the foliage may aggravate skin allergies
- Hardiness: half hardy annual
Thriving in hot sunny spots and tolerant of drought once settled in, this gorgeous marigold will make a vibrant addition to the summer planting scheme. It forms a low, neat mound of dark green foliage, above which sit the yellow-eyed, rich orange/red flowers. Flowering its socks off throughout the summer, you can often prolong the season right up to the end of autumn if you deadhead regularly. The aromatic foliage will help repel pests including aphids and whitefly, so they make a useful companion plant for tomatoes. Ideal for children as they are easy to grow.
- Garden care: Sow shallowly into moist but not wet seed compost and keep warm until after germination has taken place. When large enough to handle transplant into small pots, and grow on in cooler conditions. Gradually acclimatise before planting out at 30cm intervals after all risk of frost has passed. Later sowings can be done direct into a well-prepared bed.
- Sow: February - May
- Flowering: June - September
- Approximate quantity: 75 seeds.