Marigold 'Dainty Marietta'
- Standard £4.99
- Next / named day £6.99
- Click & collect FREE
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained soil or a loam-based potting compost
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Flower colour: yellow
- Other features: contact with the foliage may aggravate skin allergies
- Hardiness: half hardy annual
Each yellow petal has a deep brownish red blotch at its base. They radiate out from the button-like yellow centre, forming pretty, bicoloured blooms. Appearing in profusion from early summer, they will continue flowering right up until the first and if deadheaded regularly. Easy to grow and very rewarding, provided they are grown in a spot that gets plenty of sun. They make very sweet additions to patio pots, window boxes or bedding displays, and they can be used as a natural pest deterrent in the kitchen garden or allotment.
- Garden care: Sow shallowly into moist but not wet seed compost and keep warm until after germination has taken place. When large enough to handle transplant into small pots, and grow on in cooler conditions. Gradually acclimatise before planting out at 30cm intervals after all risk of frost has passed. Later sowings can be done direct into a well-prepared bed.
- Sow: February - May
- Flowering: June - September
- Approximate quantity: 125 seeds.
There are currently no 'goes well with' suggestions for this item.
There is still plenty of time to raise hardier annuals from seeds sown now and these include cosmos, zinnias and marigolds. However it's often easier to opt for ready-grown plugs of these, as well as the more-tender begonias petunias, antirrhinums and niRead full article