Malope trifida 'Vulcan'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to October
- Flower colour: magenta pink
- Hardiness: fully hardy annual, which dies after flowering
The deeply-veined magenta-pink flowers of this annual mallow grow up to 8cm across, and as they appear in such abundance, the overall effect create is incredibly showy. For something that puts on such a prolonged and colourful display, it is relatively easy to grow and will make a wonderful addition to the cutting garden as the flowers can last up to 10 days after being cut. Regular dead-heading will prolong the flowering period and encourage even more to form.
- Garden care:Start them off in a cold frame or greenhouse using good quality compost. Sow the seeds on the surface of good quality compost and keep moist (but not waterlogged) until they germinate. Thin out as soon as they are large enough to handle, allowing 45cm between each seedling and pot up into individual pots before planting outside. Later sowings can be done in situ outside.
- Sow: March-May
- Flowering: June to October
- Approximate quantity: 100 seeds.
There are currently no articles for this item.