Mahonia eurybracteata subsp.ganpinensis 'Soft Caress'
mahonia Soft Caress
- Position: full sun to full shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: August to October
- Flower colour: bright yellow
- Other features: the flowers are followed by spherical, blue berries
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Recently released onto the market, and winner of "Plant of the Year" at RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2013, this is the first Mahonia to have spine-free leaves, which means that they can be planted near to paths or doorways where you may brush past them. 'Soft Caress' is a compact, evergreen shrub, so it is ideal for larger pots, where it will provide year-round interest. Alternatively, it will make a fine addition to either a sunny or partially shaded border.
- Garden care: Every second year after flowering prune specimens grown as groundcover to just above ground level to encourage bushy growth and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant.