- Position: full sun with light dappled shade at its base
- Soil: fertile, reliably moist soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July
- Flower colour: pink and white
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A magnificent lily with nice scent has creamy-white petals each of which is edged with a soft pink. It is easy to mix with a wide range of other colours in the garden.
- Garden care: Lilies can be planted at any time from early autumn, to mid-spring. Planting in autumn often helps them settle in and become better established before they start to put on their new spring growth, but spring planting is a better option if your soil is heavy and wet during winter. Choose a sunny spot, preferably where the plant receives a little light shade at its base, and plant each bulb 15-20cm (6-8in) deep in a well-drained soil, enriched with well-rotted organic matter or leaf mould. Space them at approximately 30cm (12") intervals and provide support before the flowers appear. Deadhead the faded blooms promptly and cut the dead stems back to ground level at the end of autumn.
Containment, rather than complete eradication, is the key to pest management in an organic garden. A certain number of pests have to be tolerated because they are food for the predators – kill all the pests and there is nothing for the predators to eat. TRead full article
I would forgive the beautiful lily beetle almost anything apart from eating my lilies! Despite my best efforts, they seem to return year after year at this time to munch irregular holes in leaves, flowers and anything else they can find called lily – actuRead full article
Spring bulbs, such as daffodils and hyacinths, can be planted whenever the soil conditions allow. As a rough guide, cover them with about twice as much soil as the bulb is deep: so that a 5cm (2in) deep bulb would need a 15cm (6in) deep hole so that itRead full article
Bulbs are ideal for anyone who rates themselves as 'keen-but-clueless' because they are one of the easiest plants to grow. Provided you plant them at the right time of year at more or less the right depth, they will reward you year after year with a relRead full article
At some stage in June, your garden will be a glorious affair full of scent and soft flower. Placing a posy from the garden, close to a family hub like the kitchen table, unites your home and garden as effectively as having a huge picture window. You don’tRead full article
If rabbits, deer, squirrels or cats devour or scratch up your plants these wire mesh protectors will give them time to get established. The pyramid-shaped 'Rabbit Proof Cloche' and dome-shaped 'Squirrel Proof Cloche'Read full article