Lavandula 'Helmsdale (PBR)'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to July
- Flower colour: burgundy purple
- Other features: the aromatic flowers and leaves can be used for making pot-pourri
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need winter protection)
Compact bushy shrub with aromatic grey-green leaves and broad spikes of fragrant burgundy purple flowers topped by purple bracts. This gorgeous French lavender makes a neat, compact edging for a sunny path or border. In frost-prone areas, grow in a container and over-winter in a cool greenhouse or conservatory.
- Garden care: Cut back the stalks after the flowers have faded. Carefully trim back in April, taking care not to cut into old wood.