Lathyrus odoratus 'Restormel'
spencer sweet pea Restormel
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Flower colour: orange-red
- Other features: well scented flowers
- Hardiness: hardy annual
Vibrant orange-red petals, each with a faint picotee edge, form slightly ruffled, well-scented flowers that will create a dazzling display in the mixed border or cutting garden. Reputedly one of the best red cultivars.
All the sweet-peas in our trial produced significantly better plants when the seeds were sown in autumn rather than spring.
- Garden care: Incorporate lots of well-rotted organic matter in the planting hole. To make sure you keep the plants in top condition spray regularly with a fungicide as all sweet peas are prone to mildew, and feed with a high potash fertiliser, such as Tomorite for plenty of flowers. Don't forget to keep cutting the flowers so that you get plenty more!
There are currently no 'goes well with' suggestions for this item.
For the beginner If you do nothing else... Water new plants. Make sure new additions do not suffer during dry spells. Plant up summer containers. Plant containers with summer bedding once the threat of frosts has passed. Feed container plants. About six...Read full article
After the last frost date, plant up containers with tender flowering bedding and reliable foliage plants. Line terracotta pots with polythene, taking care not to cover the planting holes, to reduce water loss through the porous sides of the pot. This will mean...Read full article