Iris sibirica 'Shirley Pope'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: well-drained, moderately fertile soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May and June
- Flower colour: deep purple
- Other features: all parts of the plant may cause severe discomfort if ingested; contact with the sap may cause skin irritation
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Deepest purple flowers that have a velvety finish, sit on tall, upright flowerspikes from late spring to early summer. The combination of the slender green foliage and lavishly coloured flowers is a good one, and the result is an incredibly elegant plant that looks superb when planted in bold drifts throughout the border. Mix it with softer purples and rich plums to great effect.
- Garden care: Plant in soil that has been improved with well-rotted manure or garden compost and do not allow to dry out, particularly as the plant is getting established. If planted in a container, it will need dividing and repotting every couple of years in spring.
- Harmful if eaten