Iris 'Best Bet'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: well-drained, moderately fertile, neutral to acidic soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May and June
- Flower colour: pale blue and deeper mauve
- Other features: all parts of the plant may cause severe discomfort if ingested
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Pale sky blue standards, form a beautiful contrast with the purple-blue falls of this lightly scented, tall bearded iris. Magnificent when planted in drifts through a sunny border, or incorporated into a gravel garden, these plants are invaluable for adding vertical interest to the planting scheme. Like all irises, it is worth preparing the soil before planting by adding plenty of well rotted manure or good garden compost to provide nitrogen and other nutrients.
- Garden Care: Plant shallowly with the upper part of the rhizome sitting on the surface of the soil, incorporating a low nitrogen fertiliser in the planting hole. After planting remove the upper-most third of the leaves to protect against wind-rock. In exposed areas stake with bamboo canes in early spring. Divide and replant about every three years.
- Harmful if eaten
There are currently no articles for this item.