Imperata cylindrica 'Rubra'
blood grass (syn. Red Baron)
Japanese blood grass - superb upright slender blades of bright-green touched on the edges with maroon-red - picks up any dark foliage or maroon flower and bounces it back
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow-average
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection in cold areas)
Blood-red spikes that fade to bright green at the base and become transluscent with age make this grass a spectacular addition to the perennial border. It takes a while to strut its stuff, but in late summer, it shines like a jewel before it dies back. Imperata cylindrica is particularly effective planted with other grasses, or shown off in a container.
- Garden care: Cut down to the ground in February. In cold areas, protect the roots by mulching with straw or well-rotted compost. If you are growing it in a container, keep it well watered.
There are currently no articles for this item.