Hydrangea paniculata Diamant Rouge ('Rendia') (PBR)
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to August
- Flower colour: open white then turn red
- Hardiness: fully hardy
When they first appear, the petal-like sepals are white, but they soon start to change colour, first to pink and then a deeper shade of rich raspberry red. These flowerheads appear in profusion on strong stems and can grow up to 35cm in length. The flower colour may vary slightly depending on the exposure and soil type, but the overall effect is quite dramatic when the plant is in full bloom.
- Garden care:To enhance flowering prune hard in early spring, cutting back the previous season's shoots to within a few buds of the permanent, woody framework of the plant.