Hydrangea Magical Amethyst ('Hokomathyst') (PBR)
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Flower colour: green-flushed creamy white turing red-flushed
- Other features: contact with the foliage may aggravate skin allergies; the flower-heads make excellent dried flower arrangements
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Throughout the season, irregular pink markings (or blue in acidic soils) mottle the green flowers. These gradually become more pronounced and turn darker, then fade away, leaving the flowerhead predominantly green once again.
- Garden care:To enhance flowering prune in spring, cutting back the flowered stems to a strong pair of buds below each flower-head. Once established, remove a quarter to a third of the old shoots to the base of the plant.