Hydrangea macrophylla 'Hot Red Violet'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July and August
- Flower colour: deep pinkish red
- Other features: The flower-heads make excellent dried flower arrangements
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Recently introduced, this deciduous shrub produces unusually dark pinkish red flowerheads in mid- to late summer when grown on soils with a neutral pH. Compact and bushy, it is well suited to pots and containers.
- Garden care:To enhance flowering prune in spring, cutting back the flowered stems to a strong pair of buds below each flower-head. Once established, remove a quarter to a third of the old shoots to the base of the plant.
Make the most of over 3000 years of gardening tradition by creating an oriental-style garden. Originally designed as a place for intellectual contemplation and meditation, they are an ideal sanctuary from...Read full article