Hydrangea macrophylla Endless Summer Blue ('Bailmer')
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to October
- Flower colour: blue (in acidic soils)
- Hardiness: fully hardy
After 10 years of development in the USA, the 'Endless Summer' Hydrangeas are a welcome new addition to this much loved group of plants. They are unlike any other type of Hydrangea in that they will flower on both old and new wood, so they will be laden with flower from June to October, despite late frosts and badly timed pruning. This is the blue flowered form (they also come in pink and white), which is ideal for cool summer planting schemes, but to keep the flower colour it should be planted in acidic soil or ericaceous compost.
- Garden care: Leave the old flower heads in place through the winter. As the new shoots start to emerge in spring cut back a third to a quarter of the previous seasons flowering stems to the base and cut back the remaining flower heads to the first pair of buds.
Make the most of over 3000 years of gardening tradition by creating an oriental-style garden. Originally designed as a place for intellectual contemplation and meditation, they are an ideal sanctuary from...Read full article